Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Shiny things

...


It all started out with one vase and a box full of broken glass bangles and lots of free time on my hands.

Four years ago when I moved to the United States of America, I found myself having oodles of time on my hands and not much to do. Having always been busy at work upto this time, facing a day with nothing to do was something totally new to me. Of course I helped out at my husband, Roy’s office but it still left me plenty of time with nothing to do.

As kids, my siblings and I always dabbled in creative pursuits, so I scratched my thinking cap and wondered.... Well, there was crochet, sewing, etc. but I wanted to do something more unique, something that would be different.

My mom-in-law and I share similar hobbies and she introduced me to the various arts and crafts stores in the USA, like JoAnn, Michaels and Hobby Lobby. These stores are an artist’s dream come true and one can spend many enjoyable hours in these stores. What ever it is you want to do, you will find the raw material and media in these shops. Even if you don't have a project in mind, just walking through the stores gives you ideas.

So, I bought my first paper mache vase, glue, and some beads and prepared a design of bangle pieces and beads. Looking at it now, the workmanship seems rather amateurish! But it my first project and I still have it and whenever I see it, it makes me think of the satisfaction and joy I get in making these beautiful items. I can also see how far I have progressed in the designing and finishing of the final products.

Now I design vases, small clay pots, jewelery boxes, photo frames, etc. The thing about these items is that no two vases or two ornaments are the same. Even if I wanted to make two of a kind, I could not, because of the bangles. Bangles come in different sizes and that means the design will always differ. But one thing I can assure you - each and every item is beautiful.

In the past two years I have been participating in Crafts Shows around the states and am having a great time. It is amazing to see the various works of craft that people create………as an artist it truly amazes me as to how creative people can be!! Even if one does not sell much at these shows, they are great places to network and to get people to see your handiwork.
.
...

No comments:

Post a Comment